Differences Between First Pregnancy, and Pregnancy with a Toddler

If you wonder where we get the ideas for our posts, sometimes they can come in the shape of a text message from a friend. As you can see from this, her text got me reminiscing about my first pregnancy and how different it was to this one. Having an active 18 month old daughter who seems to think sitting is something that only Mom and Dad do in the bathroom, means the words “Put your feet up” are said much more rarely this time around. Generally, a woman’s first pregnancy is a blissful time of happiness and fun, imagining what having a baby will be like, with hours spent in Babies R Us look at cute outfits and playing around with every baby gadget imaginable.

And then you get pregnant again. And you’re too busy with throw up on your t-shirt and cheerios on the floor to even think about stepping into Babies R Us. I’m thinking- I had a kid. I know what’s up.

So, here I am bringing you my thoughts on the differences between a first pregnancy, and pregnancy with a toddler.

Napping and Talking to Baby

Some of both mine and my husband’s fondest memories are taking long, lazy weekend afternoon naps whenever we felt the need to during my first pregnancy. We would laze around and talk about what we thought it would be like to be parents, what our baby would be like, and how our lives would change. We would regularly talk and sing to the growing human in my tummy.

Lives have changed, toddler is here and oh look! She’s trying to climb up and into the top drawer of a chest of drawers. Naps? I’m grateful if she takes one nap a day and allows me to sleep for 15 minutes with her. We joke that the baby will come out and only know the sound of my daughter’s voice, most notably her “Hi!” and “Tan you!” (Thank You). S/he will definitely know “If you’re happy and you know it.” That gets sung a lot around here.

Reading all about pregnancy/labor/breastfeeding

What To Expect When You’re Expecting came with me everywhere. I would read through the Kellymom and La Leche info like my life depended on it. I know many parents read and learn various birthing techniques (I decided not to take any birthing classes. I survived. Barely) You “prepare” yourself for the unexpected.

IF I get time to read, it’s about raising a toddler. Reading is now focused on figuring out my daughter and how we work together. Pregnancy books? Please. I had a kid. I know any ache/pain I have in these 40 weeks is due to pregnancy. Breastfeeding? I hope to be able to just stick the next kid on the boob. I might look into some kind of birthing class though. Maybe even read a book.

Buying Maternity Clothes

I spent hours in maternity shops, trying on cute dresses and shirts, and enjoyed buying clothes that showed off my bump.

Shopping with a toddler? Have I lost my mind? I already have everything in a box at the back of my closet.  Just need to pull that baby out.

The Baby Book

I had time to date and tape all of my daughter’s ultrasounds to the pages of her personalized baby book.

Still yet to buy baby book. Ultrasound pictures sitting in pile on our bookshelf. Bad mama.

The “Oh no! You can’t do that, you’re pregnant!”

Mom relaxes, dad fusses over her. “Honey, can you run upstairs and grab me a pair of socks?” or “Don’t bend down, you’re pregnant! Let me get it for you.”

Mom is fearless! Pregnancy is a blessing, not an illness, I can do anything you can do! I took my toddler to a party and we were jumping on the bouncer, I even climbed up the giant bouncer slide with toddler in tow, and went weeeee! all the way down.

Eating out

Aw, remember how it was with pregnancy number 1? Mom and Dad go on romantic dates, eating at their favorite restaurants and giggling about what the future with a new baby will hold.

Eating out is more of a mission that should we choose to accept, it will most likely self- destruct…

What differences do you recall between your first and second pregnancy?

Comments

1. Dee says

I’m 26 weeks pregnant with my second and my daughter turns 1 tomorrow! I’m so busy being a mom that being pregnant is more of a physical condition than something that I think about constantly like I did the first time. I have been fortunate to have easy pregnancies, but lugging around a 1 year old and this gigantic belly at the same time is no easy feat! I keep saying I will try to do my best for my new child to feel the love and attention that my current child has but it will be nothing less than a challenge. Thank you for this post! I relate 100%.

2. vanessa says

oh nos….i’m pregnant with my first baby and the descriptions sound completely accurate. I don’t want to give up the romantic dinners and weekend afternoon naps!

3. Ladan says

My pleasure Dee, and I completely feel the same way. We too are concerned about the challenge of making both children feel equally loved and that they have our attention, but we won’t know how to manage it until it happens. Hopefully, it’ll come naturally to us :)

Vanessa, my advice is to thoroughly enjoy every moment of this first pregnancy. Because the next one will be totally different! If you have “liked” the Baby Gizmo Facebook page, you should read some of the comments to this blog. The mothers are all exhausted! It’s not easy, but we love it :)

4. Jessica G. says

Too funny! I can relate and agree with everything you said. My first was 13 months old when I got pregnant with my second. I recently saw a picture from when I was 7 months pregnant (#2 is now 5 months old) of me jumping in a bounce house with my toddler…I am sure most people around me thought I was crazy, but I was just being a mom. I think that is a huge difference. You are so busy being a mom to your first, you don’t have time to process if “the books” say something is okay to do or not. That and that fact that you don’t have time to day dream all day long about the baby you are pregnant with, so the pregnancy flies by! But, once on the outside, baby #2 receives just as much love as that first one did.

Oh, goodness can I ever relate! I’m 23 weeks and have a newly two year old. Things are so very much different! I gave up caffeine entirely for my first pregnancy, this time around I’m so tired from chasing after my energetic toddler that I simply can’t function without my sanctioned single cup of coffee, and I always long for more.

I also realized recently that I have no clue what’s going on with the baby development-wise. With my first, I was so excited about the changes each week brought. “Fingernails! She has fingernails now!” “The baby can hear this week, honey, talk to her!” My mind is way too busy repeating mantras designed to help me keep my patience, to recall those facts, and I’ll be darned if I have time to pull out the books.

6. Michelle O. says

Hilarious! And so true. My third child is 6 months old, and I have to say that I the only taking-it-easy-because-I-was-pregnant occurred the last three weeks before his birth. Still, that was due more to the broken ankle than the pregnancy! My five year old and two year old didn’t allow for any slowing down. And hey, 8 1/2 months pregnant at the lake, well lets just say that the kids thought I had my very own built-in personal flotation device!

7. mel says

hi i have a 2 yr old and 17 weeks pregent n longer with partner and im wurrying about how i will cope and my 2yr old being pushed out hes a mummys boy and wurry about how he will be with baby eny tips