Salad in a Jar

Salad in a jar

Yes, I’m a little behind the eight ball on this trend but, hey, better late than never. Salad in a Jar. I figured if I didn’t know about it maybe some of you didn’t either.

I always figured you couldn’t really pre-make a salad well especially days in advance because it would just wilt and turn gross. Heaven forbid you could actually pre-make a salad AND include the dressing. Unheard of!

Well, that is when the “Salad in a Jar” came into my life and turned my salad ways upside down. I was over at my friend Cathy’s house a couple weeks ago and I tried to convince her to do the 3-Day Military Diet journey I was about to begin. Yes, I’m kind of a serial dieter. I’m always trying something new. Then I eat brownies. Then I try again. Okay, back to my story. She was totally in with the 3-day Diet until she remembered her salads. She opened up her fridge to reveal about 10 jars of ready-to-eat salads for her and her husband for the week.

What?!? Salads already made for 5 days from now? Was she mad??

Apparently not! She even topped her salad reveal with telling me that the dressing was already in the jar.

“What?!? I completely reject,” I said. No way. “Those salads are going to be mush by Friday! Good luck with that, my friend.”

This is where she had to sit me down and bring me up to 2013. Salads in a Jar are all the rage.

“All the rage where?!? California? You know, places that are cooler than Chicago,” I laughed.

Nope, apparently everywhere.

Who knew, right?!? Well, apparently Cathy did and a bazillion people online.

So, what is a “Salad in a Jar”? It’s when you stuff a glass mason jar (usually a pint or quart size jar) with lettuce and all the fixings, put a lid on it and store it in your fridge for up to 5 days to always have one on hand. And you know what, sealing the salad in the mason jar actually keeps it fresh for 3-5 days. I know, I know, I was shocked too! Yes, there are tricks and things you HAVE TO DO in order to be successful with a Salad in a Jar.

RULES OF SALAD IN A JAR

1.Use a glass mason jar.

2. You must layer your salad in a specific order – dressing at the bottom, followed by veggies and other heavy foods and finish with the lettuce.

3. It’s not recommended to add the croutons to the jar as they will get soggy.

4. Lettuce shouldn’t actually touch the dressing in the jar.

5. Heaviest foods at the bottom.

6. You want to pack the jar contents in tight so that there isn’t room for the salad to move around and potentially have the dressing get to the lettuce.

7. Be creative with your salads.

Here are a couple of my favorite Salads in a Jar that I have made recently. Remember you can make your salads anyway you want! There is no wrong way to do it!

saladjaringred

CHEF SALAD IN A JAR

Ingredients in order of layering them in the jar:

Lite Ranch Dressing (or Lite Honey Mustard) – I used 2 tbsp of dressing in a pint jar.

Cucumbers

Carrots

Mushrooms

Tomatoes

Hard Boiled Egg

Chicken

Ham

Cheddar Cheese

Lettuce

Preparation:

Just layer as much or as little of each ingredient in the mason jar in the order above. It’s very important that you start with the dressing and end with the lettuce. When you  add the lettuce make sure you push the lettuce down into the jar as much as possible to fit as much lettuce as possible. You don’t want a lot of wiggle room in the jars so that the dressing doesn’t have the possibility of getting to the lettuce if jostled around. Pack it in there!!

Salad in a Jar

saladinajar

Salad in a Jar

Once you are finished preparing your jars, store them in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.

Salad in a Jar

Here is what it looks like tossed out onto a plate. Yum, right?!?

Salad in a Jar

Caesar Salad

CAESAR SALAD IN A JAR

Ingredients in order of layering them in the jar:

Lite Caesar Dressing

Carrot Shreds

Cucumber

Chicken

Parmesan Cheese

Romaine Lettuce

Caesar Salad in a Jar

Preparation:

Same process as above with the Chef Salad – layer the ingredients in the order as they are listed above. You need the carrots, cucumber and chicken with this option otherwise the lettuce will sit in the dressing which is a bad idea. I also do not recommend adding croutons in the jar because they will get soggy. Just bring them along on the side in a baggie.

Caesar Salad Jar

Caesar Jar

Jar Salads

If you have a great idea for a salad in a jar, let us know in a comment. We are always looking for different salads to try!

Don’t forget to check out our new FOOD BLOG – SKINNY NOT SKINNY - dedicated 100% to food!

Comments

1. Jenifer says

Hey! I just found you through Pinterest and am wondering if you’d tried a inch salad in a jar with any success. I’m not a huge fan of lettuce, but I love spinach.

Thanks!!

2. Betty says

Love this idea but will the lettuce wilt.? I love salads but my lettuce goes brown as soon as you open the bags , thanks

Hi Betty! If you seal the salad in the mason jar and make sure that the dressing does not touch the lettuce, the lettuce stays good (does not wilt for at least 4-5 days! It’s pretty awesome!

4. Lindsey says

I just made one of these for work tomorrow. I included dressing (2 parts olive oil, 1 part red wine vinegar, sugar, pepper, garlic salt), carrots, cucumbers, celery, tomatoes, edamame, chicken, strawberries, sunflower seeds, cheese, and spinach. I prepared it in that order. I cannot wait to try it tomorrow!

You are not the only one that hasn’t heard of this, but I, too, think it’s absolutely brilliant! I could make salads for the week on Sunday night, and then grab one every morning before I head out for work!

6. Sue Wilkinson says

This sounds great! I’ve not heard of this either and I’m from California! Can’t wait to try it.

7. Jaime says

I’m assuming it’s the glass that helps with the lettuce not wilting. I’ve read (and tried with success) putting lettuce in a glass jar or glass tupperware with a napkin or paper towel on top helps to keep lettuce fresh after opening.

I’ve never tried the salad in a jar but will now, thanks! What size jars do you use to make it enough salad?

8. Rachel says

i just tried this. I made one last night as a test and am enjoying it very much as my lunch right now. I did ranch dressing, sliced carrots, shredded ham, shredded turkey, shredded cheese, chopped hard boiled egg then lettuce. It’s very delicious!! I didn’t doubt but am glad to have my personal experience show it!

I had also never heard of this before- but I’m SO excited to try this. My daughter is in 8th grade and our school lunch programs are becoming pathetic (that’s being generous) due to new govt requirements, so we are on the search for healthy meals she can take to school! She loves Caesar salad and i know we will be trying this!!

10. Kimberly says

I was thinking of doing taco salad in a jar! Thanks for these other recipes, can’t wait to try it!

11. Kath Rees says

I’m definitely trying this out for work! Just have to find me some jars now! I’d quite like to put some pasta or rice in too, but not 100% certain where it should go in the layers, other than that it probably shouldn’t be near or in the dressing. Would it be best on top of the meaty layer do you think?

12. Theresa says

How is the salad tossed? Do you just shake the jar? I would love to send one of these salads to school with my guys but if they need another bowl or plate to haul in their already loaded backpack, I don’t think it will fly!

This is absolutely brilliant! I got excited when I saw this and had to show my husband! I love salad but could never take it to work, by the time I could eat it it just never taste right. I’m excited to try this!!

This sounds wonderful. I have seen these before but never really paid attention until I saw YOUR post.
    I want to make them now but do not have any mason jars on hand at the moment. Can I just any clean glass jar, like an old salsa or pickle jar? Thank you!