1. Start saying no. To so many commitments and to things you don’t want to do. We can’t do it all so don’t feel like you have to.
2. Pay more attention to your partner. This kid-raising gig ain’t easy on anyone, but don’t forget the reasons you’re together.
3. Do more things you like. Easier said than done, right? Take up a hobby and resolve to spend more time for just you.
4. Yell less. Ha! We all do it, we know. For all the obvious reasons, it’s bad for both the kids and ourselves. So this year, find another way to react when you’re angry, and try to stick to it.
5. Put down your phone. If you’re like me, it can be easy to become addicted to constantly checking your phone.Dedicate an amount of time to be on your phone or resolve to put it away completely while your kids are awake.
6. Spend one on one time with each kid separately. Let each kid choose something fun to do with just one parent. Having that alone quality time will mean so much to them, even just five mintes of doing what they want makes a difference!
7. Try to be more patient. Yeah, I’m laughing at that one myself. We can at least try. We could ALL use more patience I’m sure, especially with our kids, our husbands, and even with ourselves.
8. Try a new recipe each month. I didn’t say every day and I didn’t say every week, just every month! And get your kids in the kitchen to help you with it. Order take out every other day of the month and do not feel guilty about it.
9. Forgive yourself. This is a big one. We all make mistakes and no one is perfect. Forgive easily, especially when it comes to you.
10. Most importantly: Don’t be so hard on yourself. Why do we hold ourselves to such a ridiculously high standard? Let’s all cut ourselves some slack. The kids are alive and in bed. Tomorrow will be better.
What New Year’s resolutions are you making this year? Leave us a comment and let us know!