I think we all know by now that I’m a big fan of baby video monitors. These brilliant little monitoring devices give new parents the peace of mind that their baby is just fine in their crib without disturbing them by tiptoeing into the nursery every 5 seconds to sneak a peek.
Don’t get me wrong though, while I love video monitors, I am only a fan of GOOD video monitors. If you can’t hear AND see your baby, then there is no point in getting one.
Luckily, today’s featured monitor is a good one! The new and improved VTech Safe & Sound video monitor has many great features that keep parent in tune with their baby’s every move.
WHAT I LIKE:
- Works on a rechargeable battery
- 2.8 Color LCD Screen to allow you to actually see the baby.
- Great clear picture during the day. Night vision is okay.
- Talk-back – Allows you to talk to your baby or toddler through the nursery camera.
- Pan/Tilt – Scans 270 degrees around the room and 124 degrees up and down to really see all the action
- 2x Zoom – This is standard on baby monitors.
- Good handheld size about the size of a bulky iPhone
- Temperature Sensor and alarm to monitor temperature of the nursery.
- Great range! VTech advertises a 1000 ft range- all we know is that we never lose the signal in our large, two-storey house.
- Monitors up to 4 cameras at a time. (Only one camera comes with the monitor – the others would be purchased separately.)
- Volume for the talk back feature.
- Temperature sensor to monitor the temp in the room.
- Looks sleek and modern.
- Comes with a wall mount feature.
- Has rubber feet to keep it from sliding.
WHAT CAN BE IMPROVED:
- The nursery camera has to be plugged in to work. I would love to see a rechargeable battery included for those times when an outlet isn’t convenient for where the parent would like to place the camera.
- While the night vision works and you can see the baby, it could always be better.
- A lullaby option would be a great addition.
Overall, I think the VTech Safe and Sound monitor is a great option for a baby video monitor. It retails for $179, which is very reasonable for a monitor with all these features.
*Disclosure: We agreed to write our opinions about the VTech Safe and Sound Video monitor in conjunction with a Lunchbox, LP campaign on behalf of VTech. As always, all our thoughts, opinions and statements are our own.