Every November 13th a special holiday graces the calendar. No, it’s not one that gives you a break from work or the kids a day off from school, but it’s just as important as all of those. It’s World Kindness Day!
World Kindness Day evolved from a series of conferences in 1996-1997 in Japan by a group known as the World Kindness Movement. These conferences brought together groups interested in promoting more kindness around the world. It culminated in the “Declaration of Kindness” on November 13,1997. With this declaration, a new and very special day was born. (source)
Sometimes the little holidays are the ones that make me most happy. Days like World Kindness Day when I can surprise someone with a little cheer without them expecting it. Today, think about doing something extra kind for someone you love or a complete stranger and encourage your little ones to do the same.
- Buy a coffee for the person behind you in line
- Write a note to a coworker who you appreciate
- Call your mom and thank her for just being her
- Send a World Kindness Day e-card
- Order a magazine subscription for a friend
- Prep breakfast the night before so you’re whole family can enjoy a warm start to the day (french toast casserole and crockpot oatmeal are favorites of mine)
- Read an extra story at bedtime with your kids
- Plan a Skype date with a far away friend
- Drop off cookies in the teacher’s lounge at school
- While your baking, whip up some for the neighbors too
- Visit The Boho Mama on Etsy and buy a ring sling for yourself or a mama friend (kind of like Toms shoes, for every sling sold a sling is given to new mama in Papua New Guinea)
- Write a note and tuck it in your kid’s lunchbox or husband’s shirt pocket
- Print a handful of pictures of your family and children and mail them to the grandparents
- Begin an Acts of Kindness log as a family
- Meet your Dad after work and treat him to a beer, Slurpee, or diet soda … whatever he likes best
- Send a card to your niece or nephew with a few dollars in it and tell them it is for a ice cream date on you
- Take the dog on an extra long walk
- Start up a conversation with the grocery store clerk and be sure to smile
- Be kind to yourself and pick up take-out for dinner
Share your ideas for spreading kindness on November 13th … I’d love to hear!