Baby Proofing is one of the most important things you can do for your child. Here are some Baby Proofing tips to get you started and to keep you staying current with some of the baby proofing essentials.
Furniture/TV Tipping Straps
(Anti-tip furniture straps and Anti-tip TV straps)
On average, one child dies every two weeks when a TV, furniture or an appliance falls on him, according to reports received by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
- Anchor dressers, bookshelves, entertainment centers, and other tall pieces of furniture to the wall. This is an important step that carries you well into the later childhood years since most kids love to climb and explore.
Baby Safety Gates
(Evenflo Home Decor Gate, Evenflo Crosstown Gate)
A fall down the stairs can be very dangerous for a child. You actually need safety gates sooner and longer than you think. As soon as babies can move off their blanket, it’s time to put gates up. And because clumsy can last through kindergarten, they should stay up for quite a few years.
- It’s important to remember only hardware-mounted gates should be at the top of stairs. Pressure mounted gates can be used at the bottom of stairs, hallways and doorways.
- Shop Evenflo Home Decor Gate
(Tool Box and Pad Lock)
Many household vitamins and medications act as poison to a young child.
- All parents and caregivers should lock up all medications including vitamins and antacids. A simple tool box that can be locked with a padlock (NOT the key lock but a 3 number combo lock!) is a perfect way to keep medications away from a child. Remember just putting them on a high shelf may prove deadly to a climbing child.
Electricity Outlet Covers
(Outlet Plugs, Power Strip Covers)
According to data from the U.S. CPSC, about 2,400 children 10 years old or younger suffer electrical injuries each year.
Cover all exposed cords with wire guards (also cord control kits) and power strip covers. Cover all unused outlets with outlet covers whether it is the outlet plugs or slide outlet covers.
- Shop Safety 1st Double-Touch Plug ‘N Outlet Cover
- Shop Safety 1st Deluxe Press Fit Outlet Plugs
- Shop Kidco Universal Outlet Covers
Many cabinets contain things such as household cleaners that are dangerous for small children. If you have children or will have little ones visiting your home, it’s a good idea to lock the accessible cabinets with cabinet locks.
(Window Guard, Locks & Wedges)
According to the U.S. CPSC, more than 5,000 injuries result from falls from a household window every year and ages 0-4 are most likely to sustain head injuries.
- For young children, install window guards, locks or wedges (depending on your windows) and move furniture away from windows. There are full window guards designed to block a child from falling out the window but still allow the window to be open. Other window fall prevention would be to install child safety window locks on the window to prevent a child from opening the window.
- Shop Window Stop
*For our full Baby Gizmo Baby Proofing Guide, visit: Baby Gizmo Baby Proofing Guide