When I found out I was having twins, and would need to decorate a nursery on a MUCH tighter budget with MUCH less time and energy then I had originally expected, all my plans had to be reevaluated. I wanted a cute girly mobile, but nothing too crazy feminine or too crazy expensive. It had to be: 1) super quick, 2) super easy, and 3) super cute. Hence, the DIY Scrap Fabric Mobile!
-Scrap fabric or ribbon
-large embroidery hoop
-yarn or fishing line to hang from ceiling
-screw eye hook to hang from ceiling
1) Take your scrap fabric and cut into strips approximately 2 inches wide. I use my yard stick as a guide for width and straightness, but there is no need to be exact. If you would like, you can mix in strips of ribbon as well.
2) Once you have a good pile of each type of fabric (I used 3 different colors, and cut about a dozen strips of each), start threading the scraps on the interior circle from your embroidery hoop. You just need to:
a. Fold your scrap fabric in half
b. Put the folded portion through the embroidery hoop
c. Take the tail end of your fabric and threading it through the folded loop of that same fabric strip
d. Pull tight, so the fabric is wrapped tight around the embroidery hoop
3) Continue threading scraps until all the scraps are attached to the hoop or until you have the fullness you are looking for
4) Tie yarn or fishing line to the embroidery hoop, leaving a long tail to attach to the ceiling
5) Screw the screw eye hook into the ceiling and tie the yarn or fishing line to it
Step back and enjoy the sheer adorableness of it all!