Today I am sharing ten tips for new moms. When you’re expecting for the first time, you get dished out a lot of information. Parents are always giving their “expert advice” and it can be overwhelming. Today we’ve made things simple for you by narrowing down all of that information in to ten simple tips you should know!
1. Each phase shall pass. Some days seem so long, we all know the ones. You’re covered in spit up, you’re exhausted, you really just want to go to bed and finally get a good night’s sleep. But as most parent’s will tell you, children go through so many phases. Waking up several times, the “witching” hour, teething, growth spurts causing them to nurse all the time, there’s so many phases, but rest assured, they do pass. Just find some people you trust and vent to them.
2. Find your “village.” It really does take a village to raise a child. Find great girlfriends/other moms who can talk you through the rough times, and make it easier. People who support your decisions and make you feel good will help you through those long days.
3. Take your own advice above anyone else’s. While listening to advice is great and teaches us a lot of new information, you know yourself and your baby more than anyone else. Always listen to that little voice inside telling you what to do and trust your instincts. When you become a mother, you will notice everyone has an opinion on your choices. Use what works for you and don’t worry about the rest.
4. Don’t be too afraid or proud to get help. If someone offers you help, take it! If friends or family members offer to bring you dinner, do your laundry, or hold your baby so you can sleep an extra hour, take them up on it. Never be too afraid to ask for help if you need it!
5. Celebrate the small victories. Were you able to take a shower today? Maybe you even got out of the house? Celebrate those small victories and take everything one day at a time.
6. Health and happiness above all else. As long as your baby is healthy and happy, the other little things don’t matter so much. Whether they sleep in their crib or next to you, that’s your choice. Don’t sweat the small stuff.
7. Be kind to yourself. Give yourself time to lose the baby weight. Know that it’s okay to cry some days. Take care of yourself and make sure that you are eating and sleeping. Having a newborn takes a toll on us both physically and mentally. Give yourself a break now and then.
8. Find a pediatrician you love. Knowing your baby is in good hands is reassuring and a lifesaver. Take the time to research doctors in your area and find the very best one that you love and trust.
9. Everything else can wait. When you have a newborn baby, everything else can usually wait. The laundry, the dishes, whatever. Do it later and hold your baby some more.
10. Take pictures. Lots and lots of pictures! Take a monthly (or even daily) photo of your baby because they change an incredible amount that first year and you’ll want to look back to see just how tiny they were.
What tips would you give to new parents? Leave us a comment!