This month, my second born starts kindergarten!
Where oh where has the time gone? Truly, I wonder, because – fun fact – I first contributed to Baby Gizmo shortly after he was born … SIX YEARS AGO! Here it is! I feel like my kids have grown up here at Baby Gizmo and it’s so fun to look back on many of the posts they’ve been part of while looking forward to what will come.
Now, if you’re anything like me, this all means that you’re juggling school age kids alongside babies 🙂 So, as you discover fun board books for your little ones, you’re also on the lookout for early readers, picture books, and read alouds that will engage your big kids.
Below you’ll find 20 books especially for kindergarteners. Of course, they’re just fine for preschoolers and other early elementary grade kids too! Some your kindergartener will be able to read and others they’ll enjoy listening to … for now. Because, cue the tears, I can promise you that they’ll be reading ALL of them before you know it! Once reading clicks, there is just no stopping them!
I hope you fall in love with some of these favorites of ours. And, be sure to chime in with your kindergarten level favorites too! We’d love to check them out at the library and buy them for our home library if they become super favorites!
- Let’s Go for a Drive – The entire Elephant and Piggie series is great!
- Buzz Said the Bee by Wendy Cheyette Lewison
- Go, Dog, Go by P. D. Eastman
- Penny and Her Marble by Kevin Henkes
- Silly Milly by Wendy Cheyette Lewison
- Hi! Fly Guy by Tedd Arnold
- A Cat Named Swan by Holly Hobbie
- Escargot by Dashka Slater
- The Friend Ship by Kat Yeh
- Tales For Very Picky Eaters by Josh Schneider
- Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney
- Pete the Cat: Rocking In My School Shoes by Eric Litwin – Another series winner!
- Today, I’m a Monster by Agnes Green
- Everything You Need for a Treehouse by Carter Higgins – My current favorite!
- It Looked Like Spilt Milk by Charles Shaw
- We’re Going On a Bear Hunt by Helen Oxenbury – After you read, look up the Cosmic Kid’s Yoga on YouTube and have fun with the We’re Going On a Bear Hunt episode!
- If You Take a Mouse To School by Laura Numeroff
- Ida, Always by Caron Levis
- Sarabella’s Thinking Cap by Judith Schachner
- The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires
This book list and The Kindergarten Canon are both amazing resources to move on to once you and your kindergarten readers check out the books above! Happy reading!