I’ve attempted to implement Meatless Mondays around here: both to save money and give our digestive systems a break from processing meat. It’s been met with mixed reviews, especially from my husband, but I’m happy to say I’ve found a few winner recipes.
Most of the winners are thanks to black beans since they’re so filling and once mashed almost have a meaty texture. Black bean burgers are a top runner and I’m excited to share the recipe today!
BLACK BEAN BURGERS
- 2 cans of black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon ketchup or mustard or 1/2 a tablespoon of each
- Thick, creamy spread like mayo, guacamole, chipotle sauce, garlic aioli etc.
- Fancy buns
- All your favorite toppings- lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, onions, salsa, cheese, etc.
- Mash black beans in a large mixing bowl. Add oatmeal and ketchup or mustard. Stir to combine.
- Form into patties about 4 inches wide … or to match the width of your buns
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes, flip the patties and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Top your patty with cheese as soon as it comes out of the oven and place on top of your bun.
- Add spread and veggie fixings. Add the top bun and serve with a side of sweet potato fries.
The key to yummy black bean burgers is adding a good sauce and lots of veggies. The patties alone can seem a bit dry so play around with a quality bun, spreads and toppings to find the perfect balance. A strong cheese like pepper jack or gouda adds a great flavor too!
Do you have a meatless day during the week? What are you go-to vegetarian meals?
Friday 1st of August 2014
added onions and mushrooms... in the oven now. fingers crossed! thanks for the recipe! i def needed a quick dinner with 2 crabby kids and a hubby working late!
Monday 11th of August 2014
Onions and mushrooms - yum! I'LL need to try that now too :)