There’s a common stereotype about men: they’re unemotional and don’t want any “mushy stuff.” Just like the whole “foolish bumbling dad” thing, though, this stereotype is thankfully on its way out. Everyone likes to know that they’re loved and appreciated and dads—men—are no different. This Father’s Day, take a moment to tell the fathers in your life how you feel about them. And if you’re at a loss for words, have no fear! I’m here to help with some great quotes about dads.
- I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren’t trying to teach us. We are formed by little scraps of wisdom. – Umberto Eco, Foucault’s Pendulum
- He has always provided me a safe place to land and a hard place from which to launch. – Chelsea Clinton
- A working definition of fathering might be this: fathering is the act of guiding a child to behave in ways that lead to the child’s becoming a secure child in full, thus increasing his or her chances of being happy and fruitful as a young adult. – Clyde Edgerton
- It is a wise father that knows his own child. – William Shakespeare
- Years ago we used to play / He used to laugh when I ran away / But when I fell and hurt my knee / He would run to comfort me / And the pain would go away. – The Monkees
- A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty. – Unknown
- The words that a father speaks to his children in the privacy of home are not heard by the world, but, as in whispering-galleries, they are clearly heard at the end and by posterity. –Jean Paul Richter
- Son, brother, father, lover, friend. There is room in the heart for all the affections, as there is room in heaven for all the stars. – Victor Hugo
- There’s something like a line of gold thread running through a man’s words when he talks to his daughter, and gradually over the years it gets to be long enough for you to pick up in your hands and weave into a cloth that feels like love itself. – John Gregory Brown, Decorations in a Ruined Cemetery
- The most important thing in the world is family and love. – John Wooden
- In our house, Mother’s Day is every day. Father’s Day, too. In our house, parents count. They do important work and that work matters. One day just doesn’t cut for us. – Margaret Heffernan
- My dad, like any coach, has always stressed the fundamentals. He taught me responsibility, accountability, and the importance of hard work. – Steve Young
- It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons. – Friedrich Schiller
- A good father is one of the most unsung, unpraised, unnoticed, and yet one of the most valuable assets in our society. – Billy Graham
There you are! Now go ahead and wrap your obligatory tie, “World’s Best Dad!” mug, or grilling tool, and use one of these handy, thoughtful quotes to personalize a card for dad. Happy Father’s Day!