A friend of mine and I were talking about Christmas gifts. Our kids are right around the same age, and she brought up non-toy options. Genius! I have no room for any more toys for my oldest baby and the younger one gets all the hand me downs. So I asked my mommy friends to help me come up with ideas that they would LOVE for their kids to receive other than toys. Here are their top five answers:
1. Zoo membership. This was by far the most popular alternative. And why not? This is an awesome gift idea that would last all year long! Not to mention, you would be supporting the care of the animals, alongside the awesome discounts you get.
2. Recreation class certificate. Something like a gymnastics class, karate class, or a mommy and me class. What a fun idea! This is a great way for the kids to get their energy out in a healthy way, and with all the different classes that are offered, you are sure to find a class for every child (or even the adults!) on your list!
3. Craft items. Let their imaginations run wild! Make felt finger puppets, paint flowers, create sun catchers, or even personalize their very own birdhouse. You could also purchase a membership for monthly activity boxes such as Kiwi Crate or BabbaBox. (Melissa & Doug birdhouse kit pictured above can be purchased here.)
4. Kids book/magazine subscription. Remember Highlights magazine? They also do monthly book clubs from newborn on up! The books are a bit more expensive than the original magazines, but how cute are those little boxes? And they are so fun for kids to receive in the mail!!
5. Tickets to a show. Think Disney on Ice. I remember going to see Beauty and The Beast on ice. It’s such a great memory. For the boys who aren’t really into Disney, maybe something more along the lines of Monster Jam?
What ideas do you have for non toy gifts? Let us know in the comments below!