Unless you been living in a cave, you know that cake pops have been hugely popular in the last couple years. Kids love ’em. Adults love ’em. Basically, who doesn’t like a cake pop?!? Well, today for “Foodie Friday” I am changing up the cake pop game and taking out the cake and putting in Rice Krispie Caramel Balls. It’s basically the super yummy Rice Krispie Caramel Chocolate Bars in ball form on a stick. Easy to eat, looks great at a party and is delicious! What’s not good about that?!?
I figured this recipe was a pretty big deal that it needed a Baby Gizmo Video to show you how to get it done.
3 tbsp butter
6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
1 – 10 ounce bag of Kraft Mini Marshmallows
2 – 12.25 Smuckers Caramel Topping (or melted caramels!)
2 – 12 ounce bags of Nestle Semi-Sweet Morsels (or whatever chocolate you’d like!)
30-40 Cake Pop or Sucker Sticks
Step by Step Directions
1. Make your traditional Rice Krispies Treats. Melt butter on the stove with medium heat. Add entire bag of mini marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove marshmallows from heat and mix in 6 cups of Rice Krispies Cereal. Mix until completely combined.
2. Transfer krispie treat mixture into a slightly buttered pan. Let the treats sit for 5-10 minutes so that they won’t be as sticky when you are making them into balls.
3. Grab a handful of krispie treat mixture and squish and roll into a ball. You can make the balls as little or big as you would like. I would suggest a little bigger than walnut size. Repeat with remaining krispie treat mixture.
4. Take each krispie ball and stick a cake pop stick into it making it into a “krispie pop”. Set the krispie pops on a wax paper covered pan or plate. Put the plate of krispie pops into the freezer for 15 minutes or until they are chilled.
5. While the krispie balls are chilling, melt the chocolate and caramel in the microwave. For each 12 ounces of chocolate that you melt, I add 1 tbsp of canola (or vegetable) oil to thin the chocolate out slightly so that it is easier to work with. If you are using the Smucker’s Caramel Topping, you will just need to transfer the caramel to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for about 20 seconds.
6. Remove krispie balls from the freezer and holding the krispie pops by the stick, dip each ball into the caramel. Roll the pop in the caramel to completely cover and then set on a wax paper covered tray.
7. Return the pops to the freezer for an additional 10-15 minutes. After the caramel is chilled, dip each caramel covered pop in the melted chocolate making sure to cover the entire ball to make the chocolate pop.
8. To keep the rice krispie pops festive, sprinkle with the holiday sprinkles of your choice.
9. Put into the refrigerator for at least 15 minute for the chocolate to set.
10. That’s it! Enjoy!
*I recommend storing these treats in a covered container in the refrigerator. They can be served cold or a room temperature.