In cooler weather I LOVE making anything in my crock pot. It becomes my best friend. I make all sorts of soups, stews, and chili. One of my absolute favorite dishes that my mom makes is stuffed cabbage. Mmm…cabbage, meat, rice, onions and a bit of salt…it must be the Polish in me. Well last year my mom stopped by, and instead of making stuffed cabbage (because seriously-it takes forever) she made stuffed cabbage soup. Bam! Best mom ever.
And because I love it so much I have to share it with everyone I know! If you like stuffed cabbage you will absolutely devour this soup!
* I just have to add, we don’t really measure anything when we cook so this isn’t an exact science here.
- 1 pound of cooked ground beef
- 2 small onions or 1 large chopped
- 2 cans of tomato sauce
- 2 cans of tomato paste (I really like the tomato taste, if you don’t only add 1!)
- 1 cabbage chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- Roughly 4 cups of chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- (Optional) 1 heaping teaspoon of garlic powder
- While browning the meat and cooking the rice, chop up your onion and cabbage. When rice is done, put into a container in the fridge to add later (this way it doesn’t soak up all your liquid while it’s cooking).
- Mix together the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and your chicken broth in your crock pot.
- Add your seasonings and stir.
- Next, add all the rest of the ingredients.
- Let it cook on low if you’ll be gone all day. If you only have a couple of hours cook on high. It only needs to cook until the cabbage and onions are nice and soft since you cooked the meat and rice ahead of time.
- About 15 minutes before you want to enjoy your soup, add your rice to let it warm back up!
NOTE: If the broth is still too thick for you, add another cup of chicken broth, let it warm, and you’re good to go!
HOW EASY IS THAT!? And it tastes AMAZING! Do you have any family recipes you have simplified or made your own? Please share your favorites!