I hit another home run with dinner the other night and I just had to share. I have been looking for a fabulous cheesy potato soup recipe lately and have made four different recipes trying to find a really good one. I only want to share the best with you guys (and my family!).
My one requirement for the soup recipe was that it had to be made in the crockpot. I don’t have time to stand over a stove and stir soup for 45 minutes. I need to throw it all in the crockpot in the morning and return to delicious soup ready to eat at dinner time. After school just gets too crazy to be peeling potatoes and mixing up soup for an hour!
So, this recipe is it! One of the best cheesy potato soup recipes that I’ve had. Plus, the family LOVED it! Even my picky little 3-year-old cleaned his plate…umm..I mean bowl. This recipe makes a lot of soup – a whole big crockpot full. I would say it would feed 8-10 people but I made this much so that we had leftovers! Yum!
Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup
- 10 cups chopped potatoes You can substitute 2 bags (32 oz of frozen southern-style diced hash brown potatoes if you want to make it even easier!)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 2 cartons 32-oz Progresso® chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 16 oz cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup real bacon pieces optional for garnish
- 4 green onions sliced (optional for garnish)
- In slow cooker, mix potatoes, onion, celery, broth and water.
- Cover; cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours.
- After the 6-8 hours, in a small bowl, mix flour into milk; stir into potato mixture. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 20 to 30 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Remove about 5 cups of soup and place in a bowl. Add 1 bag of cheddar cheese (2 cups) and puree with an immersion blender until the cheese is incorporated. Return the pureed soup to the crockpot.
- Add 2nd bag of cheese (2 cups) to all the soup in the crockpot and stir until melted. Garnish individual servings with bacon and green onions. Sprinkle with pepper if desired.
*Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe modified from Betty Crocker’s Recipe
Tuesday 2nd of October 2018
If you watch her U Tube video it is one carton (32 oz) of chicken broth.
Tuesday 10th of March 2015
Is that (2) 32oz cartons of broth or 32oz total?
Saturday 22nd of November 2014
Also wondering about the amount of chicken broth. Made this tonight and my crockpot would be overflowing had I not removed some broth before I added the cheese. I didn't read the previous posts, so I did not add the half and half until the end (when I discovered that I had not used it). The soup is delicious nonetheless!
Wednesday 8th of October 2014
Is it 64 oz or 32 oz of broth?
Wednesday 27th of November 2013
Is it 2 cartons of chicken broth, 32 oz. each or 32 oz. total? I used 2 cartons, which would be 64 oz. and I'm a little nervous!
Wednesday 10th of December 2014
How'd it turn out? I'm making this tomorrow and am wondering the same thing you wondered.