Memorial Day is coming up on May 25th and we never pass up an opportunity to round up some cute crafts and activities for our kiddos!
First, since Memorial Day is celebrated in honor of all the brave men and women who have died in military service for the United States, kick off the celebration with an activity that actually relates to the day more than just red, white, and blue stuff.
- Place little flags or flowers on graves of fallen soldiers, especially those of family members. Most veterans’ cemeteries look for volunteers to help during this holiday.
- Since this is a day to remember the service military men and women gave to our country, brainstorm with your kids ways you can serve your neighbors and then go do it! Get in the spirit of giving and service to honor those who died so we can keep living in this amazing country.
- Check out these three remembrance crafts perfect for Memorial Day from Mom Junction. My favorite is the handprint peace dove!
- A patriotic Agamograph: What’s an agamograph? It’s a picture that morphs from one image to another as you walk past it. See how it’s done from Jenny Knappenberger’s Art With Jenny K.
- Troop care package: Honor our past, fallen heroes by supporting a current hero! Create a care package to send to an active duty solider. Supportourtroops.org suggests sending boxes with all the same type of goods in them verses assorted goods. See how/where to send the packages on their website.
- Flowy red, white and blue, decoration to hang for your grilling parties: These are super cute and can even be saved for the Fourth of July, too! Find step-by-step instructions from Multiples and More.
- Patriotic Stick Puzzle: For the little kids, this cute and very simple craft then becomes a perfect level puzzle activity! See how to make it and other cute Memorial Day crafts at The Preschool Toolbox.
- Fireworks painted with a fork: All you need is three things and you’ve got yourself an easy, minimal mess craft! See more from A Thrifty Mom.
- Patriotic painted rocks: Cute, simple (since you most likely have rocks ready for painting right outside your back door), and they will make for an easy centerpiece at your summer barbeques! See how it’s done from Kiwico.com.
- Military clothespin airplanes: These are probably the cutest airplanes I’ve ever seen, from Crafts By Amanda.