Our family is rolling through some big transitions this Christmas season and rather than feel grumpy/annoyed/depressed about how I imagined things would be and how they’re not, I’m taking these changes as the opportunity to start some new traditions!
My little ones are two and four so Christmas is magical in every sense of the word. My daughter remembers quite a bit about Christmas last year and can’t wait for our tree, a drive through a neighborhood light show in a town north of ours and baking, baking, baking! Her exuberance is giving me a lot of light and hope to make this Christmas the best for my family.
One of the new traditions I’m starting is a book project a number of my friends have recommended.
This is what you do …
Prior to December 1st, gather 25 Christmas books. You can buy them, borrow them, gather then from your bookshelf or check them out from the library. Wrap each of them up individually and right a number on each, one through twenty five. On each day leading up to Christmas, let your children unwrap a new Christmas book to read! That’s it! A simple, fun tradition that boosts the love of reading … and the love of opening presents 🙂
Here is my list of 25 books for this year! Some mama’s chimed in on my blog Facebook page, some are new ones I’ve had my eye on and of course, there are quite a few classics I can’t wait to introduce my children to.
- Polar Express
- The Night Before Christmas – Best illustrations!
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy
- Silent Night
- The Barnyard Night Before Christmas – What a fun twist!
- Apple Tree Christmas
- Porcupine In a Pine Tree – A Canadian classic!
- A Tale of Three Trees
- Sweet Smell of Christmas
- God Gave Us Christmas
- The Christmas Story
- Truthy Ruthy’s Christmas Surprise
- Charlie and the Christmas Kitty – It’s Ree Drummond’s book!
- Santa’s Favorite Story
- Franklin’s Christmas Gift – A big hit with Franklin fans!
- The Jolly Christmas Postman – Love this series!
- The Christmas Owl
- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
- The Story of the Nutcracker Ballet
- 10 Trim the Tree-ers
- Llama Llama Holiday Drama
- The Wild Christmas Reindeer – I’ll always love Jan Brett!
- The Pajamas Elves
- A Pirate’s 12 Days of Christmas
What are your favorite Christmas books for holiday reading?