Music can so easily set the tone for the moment. The adventure. The season.
Quiet lullabies perfectly lead little ones into sleep. Show tunes make cleaning bearable, almost fun. Oldies take you into the past, often reminding you of people you love while making memories with new family and friends. And Christmas songs, oh, you know how that music bring the season alive!
Does that means summer deserves its own playlist?
Yes, yes it does!
These days I steer away from the radio. You just never know what will pop on and require a discussion that just isn’t age appropriate. Instead, I pre-screen songs and build playlists we can sing along to without worry.
Here’s a peek at our family’s “Summer Fun Playlist”:
- The Greatest Show, The Greatest Showman Soundtrack — Truly, this entire soundtrack is a winner, but of all the songs, this is the one we sing the loudest.
- We’re All In This Together, High School Musical — Love the lyrics in this song, because, yep, we’re all in this together!
- Fight Song, Rachel Platten — My son sings this at the top of his lungs. Love it!
- Try Everything, Shakira — Now, all Shakira isn’t ideal for kids, but this one? It’s the best!
- A Thousand Years, Christina Perri — Not every summer fun song has to be loud and rambunctious. A Thousand Years is slower paced and meaningful. The perfect one to snuggle up to and whisper, “I love you forever”.
- Bubbly, Colbie Caillat — Close your eyes and imagine a beach, now, sway, sing, and giggle!
- Hello, Adele — Doesn’t everyone like to sing along with Adele? My toddler picks this one constantly.
- Go The Distance, Hercules Soundtrack — Classic Disney with a great message.
- So Young, The Coors — For all those young ones … and their young at heart mamas.
What kid-friendly songs will your family be rocking out to this summer?