I don’t claim to have many signature meals, but this one, is one of them!
Artichoke stuffed chicken breast sounds a little labor intensive, but I promise, it’s not. It’s one of those meals that you can whip up in the morning while breakfast is cooking, refrigerate and have ready to pop in the oven come dinner time.
I love to serve it with a side of fresh garden beans, roasted potatoes or fancy green salad.
- 2 cups artichoke hearts, drained and chopped, reserve liquid
- 2/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/3 cup parmesan
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 lemons – resulting in 2 teaspoons lemon zest and 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium mixing bowl blend chopped artichoke hearts, feta, parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and 1 teaspoon lemon zest. Set aside.
3. Next, create a stuffing station. Cover the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish with olive oil. Have a sharp knife handy and artichoke blend with a spoon close by. Pat dry each chicken breast and cut a slit into the thickest spot of each one to make a pocket. Flex open so the pocket is gaping and set in the baking dish. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Once each chicken breast is prepped, carefully spoon 1/4 cup (or more!) of artichoke cheese mix into each pocket. Set aside.4. Over medium heat, combine reserved artichoke liquid, remaining spices (thyme, Italian seasoning and lemon zest). In a separate small mixing bowl whisk together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Slowly drizzle into artichoke liquid while constantly stirring. Bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes.
5. Place zested and squeezed lemon leftovers amidst the chicken breast. This adds a great infusion while it bakes. Pour thickened artichoke sauce over the stuffed chicken breasts, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
6. At the 20 minute mark, remove foil, check for pinkness and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until done.